Friday, November 26, 2010

Bourbon Cranberry Sauce

I'm not a big drinker, but I admit that I have a thing for liquor in sweets and my cranberry sauce is no exception.  I think the booze in here makes it quite tasty.  I realized after I made this that I had accidentally used brandy, added it too early (before I baked it) and also forgot to cover it with foil and the cranberry sauce didn't suffer one bit! (No, I wasn't dipping into the brandy.)

 
BOURBON CRANBERRY SAUCE
(Yield:  3 cups)

Ingredients
1 pound (about 4 cups) cranberries
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 vanilla bean, scraped (optional)
1/4 cup bourbon

Procedure
Preheat oven to 350° F.
1.      Combine cranberries, sugar, cinnamon & vanilla (if using) in 9x13-inch baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake until cranberries are tender and sugar is dissolved, stirring once, about 1 hour.
2.      Remove from oven and stir in bourbon.
3.      Refrigerate cranberry sauce until well chilled.  (Can be prepared 1 week ahead.)

Bon Appétit, November 1991 by Barbara Price, Bloomington, Minnesota

No comments:

Post a Comment