Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

I usually mash butternut squash (with a little butter, salt and maple sugar), but last night I decided to make soup instead. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I probably should have stuck with the usual because my daughter already likes that (and she did not like this). I should have heeded the old adage: if it ain't broke, don't soup it. (For the record, my husband and I liked it.)
 BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
Yield: 6 servings

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 (2-3 pound) butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks)
2 Yukon gold potatoes (peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks)
4 cups chicken stock (or less if you like your soup thicker)
1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk
2 tablespoons honey
freshly grated nutmeg
salt and freshly ground black pepper


1.      Melt the butter in a large soup pot.  Add onion and cook for 6-7 minutes. Add celery and cook for 1 minute more.  Add squash, potatoes and stock.
2.      Bring to a boil and cook until squash and potatoes are both tender, about 15 minutes.
3.      Add the coconut milk and honey.  Blend until smooth using an immersion blender.
4.      Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Bring back to a simmer and serve.

blending in the freshly grated nutmeg

I sprinkled the parsley on for the photo
(and it's still boring,
so I put the cubed squash up top)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds pretty great. I love soup. Of course, I like the idea of squash with butter, salt, and maple sugar too!

Susan said...

Some grocery stores sell the squash already cubed for you, but roasting it is another great option (definitely easier and adds nice flavor).

You may (or may not) have noticed that I'm a big fan of coconut milk. I love the flavor (and the convenience)!

Post a Comment