Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fig Jam

In October, before I started this blog, I made a Fig and Walnut Tapenade with Goat Cheese for a party. I liked it so much I was sure I'd make it again soon, so I impulsively bought two more bags of dried figs, which have been staring me in the face ever since. And because I have no immediate party plans, I decided their time had come (and now they're jam).
FIG JAM
Yield: approx. 2 cups

2 cups dry red wine
1 3/4 cups water
6 oz. dried figs, stemmed and chopped
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
2 teaspoons fresh ginger juice*, plus more to taste
1/2 cup honey

*peel and finely grate about 3"- 4" fresh ginger, then squeeze out the juice.


1.     Bring all ingredients to boil in heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until honey dissolves.
2.     Boil until thickened and reduced to about 2 cups, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
3.     Blend jam in a blender until smooth (or use an immersion blender right in the pot).  Add more lemon juice and ginger juice to taste.
4.     Transfer to a bowl and cool completely. Cover and refrigerate.

chopped figs

3 comments:

Elizabeth (Foodie, Formerly Fat) said...

Thanks or posting this. I made something delicious with this and I'm posting it Friday on my blog. We're a good team, you and I!

Elizabeth (Foodie, Formerly Fat) said...

Do you have any suggestions on this if one doesn't want to use the red wine? How do you think pomegranate juice would do instead?

Susan said...

I think pomegranate juice would definitely change the flavor (it's tarter than wine) and be a little intense when it reduces down. It could be a nice change though. I would suggest not substituting 100% pomegranate for red wine, maybe just 1 1/2 cups and then another 1/2 cup water.

Post a Comment