Thursday, March 31, 2011

Norbert Rice Salad

One day I was browsing through my computer files (mostly in order to delete and clean up a little), when I came across an old file called Norbert rice salad. I opened the file and at first I couldn't remember where I'd gotten the recipe. Then I had a vague recollection of being at a party in my mid-twenties...back in the day when I actually went to parties (ones without any clowns, magicians or giant inflatable bouncy things). There was a friend of a friend there named Norbert. He brought rice salad and gave me the recipe. I have no idea where he got it and I haven't seen Norbert in at least 15 years, but I thought it was only fair for his name to stay attached. I did tweak it a little (it needed more crunch and a little spice). Norbert, if you're out there, I hope you don't mind.

NORBERT RICE SALAD

3 cups cooked brown rice, still warm
1 1/2 cups unsalted toasted cashews, coarsely chopped
1 cup unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped onion or scallions (white and light green parts only)
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons mango chutney
2 tablespoons chili sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon green tabasco sauce, or more to taste
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon curry powder


1.      Combine rice, cashews, sunflower seeds, onions and peppers in a large bowl.
2.      In a separate bowl, mix together mayonnaise, ketchup, curry powder, mango chutney, chili sauce, soy sauce and tabasco.
3.      Pour dressing over the rice mixture and stir well to combine.  Let chill in the refrigerator.

assembling the ingredients
the not-so-secret sauce
ingredients mixed before sauce
.

1 comment:

Judie Cleland said...

We just visited Susan and Chuck and she made this rice salad; it was delicious. The nuts gave it a nice crunchy texture. The sauce was yummy.

Post a Comment