Friday, April 1, 2011

Spanish Chicken and Rice

I've been making this recipe for a few years now. So far everyone who has tried it, really likes it. It's got great flavor and I love that it makes both a main dish and side dish at the same time. Plus the eye of newt really gives it a unique sharpness that you don't find very often in a chicken dish. (This is the part where you realize today is April Fool's Day.)




SPANISH CHICKEN AND RICE
Yield: 4 servings

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 bone-in chicken breasts or thighs
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (2.5 ounce) jars sliced pimentos, drained
1 cup rice (uncooked)
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 dashes cayenne pepper (or to taste)


1.      Preheat oven to 350º F.
2.      Combine flour, salt and pepper in a large ziploc bag. Add chicken and shake until well coated. In a large (10” to 11”) oven-safe skillet, brown chicken in butter over medium heat.  Remove chicken; set aside and keep warm with foil.
3.      In the pan drippings, saute onion, green pepper and garlic until tender.  Add pimientos and rice.  Reduce heat; cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth, turmeric, chili powder, cayenne and salt; bring to a boil.
4.      Place chicken on top of rice mixture. Cover pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until rice is tender, liquid is absorbed and chicken juices run clear. Note: it takes longer if using brown rice (about 60 minutes).

adapted from Mary Nelms, Jacksonville, Florida

browning chicken
chopped peppers & onions
onions and peppers cooking
pimentos and rice added
broth & spices added
chicken added back
out of the oven and ready to serve


.

4 comments:

Elizabeth (Foodie, Formerly Fat) said...

I had a whole April Fools post planned around Kraft Mac & Cheese but then abandoned it because I realized not enough people read my blog regularly enough to get it and then there'd be a post about Kraft mac and cheese sitting there forever. Yours is better.

Chicken looks awesome. If someone put that plate down in front of me right now I'd be a happy camper.

Anonymous said...

The rice dish is excellent. I had leftover chicken breast pieces from the night before that I put on top the last 15 minutes and we loved it. Thanks, Becky

Judie Cleland said...

I planned ahead; made this dish yesterday for our Sunday night dinner. I had to taste it to make sure it was OK and it was delicious. I cannot wait for dinner. Even though I like the breast meat, I did only use thighs. They are growing on me and I hate to admit, they have more flavor. Another yummy meal for the Clelands.

Kevin said...

Made this last night -- excellent and like you say...a bonus to have both the main dish and the side dish come out of the same pan!

Another keeper!

Post a Comment