Monday, April 11, 2011

Tagliatelle with Mustard-Crème Fraiche Sauce

I had some really nice looking, imported tagliatelle in my cabinet, but it was taking up a fair amount of space, so it needed to go. I also had crème fraîche, mustard, parsley, white wine...you see where I'm going with this. Basically I used what I had. I was very happy with the results and decided it was blog worthy.


TAGLIATELLE WITH MUSTARD-CRÈME FRAÎCHE SAUCE
Yield: 4-6 servings

3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup minced shallots (or onions)
2 tablespoons pressed (or finely minced) garlic
1 cup white wine
1 cup (8 oz.) crème fraîche (homemade or store-bought)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (8.8 oz.) package dried egg tagliatelle (or other dried egg noodle)
1/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano


1.      Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2.      Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and saute for 5 minutes.  Add garlic and saute for 1 more minute. Add wine and simmer for about 5 minutes (or until reduced by about half). Stir in the crème fraîche and mustard; simmer for another 2-3 minutes, until slightly thickened. Stir in chopped parsley and parmigiano-reggiano. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3.      Add pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente (according to the package directions). Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
4.      Add pasta to the skillet; toss with sauce (it may seem like a lot of sauce at first, but the pasta soaks it up quickly). Add some reserved pasta cooking water if necessary to thin. Serve hot, sprinkled with chopped parsley.

I used onions, only because I didn't have shallots
(but I think it would be even better with shallots,
so I wrote them into the recipe)
onions simmering in wine
adding the crème fraîche and mustard
chopped parsley
parsley & parmigiano-reggiano added
tagliatelle (any good egg noodle will do)
tagliatelle draining
tagliatelle added and everything mixed
.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is on my list as soon as I get more crème fraîche going - like maybe today.
Becky

Anonymous said...

This was very delicious! I started new crème fraîche as soon as I read your blog so was able to use it for dinner tonight. Thanks!
Becky

Susan said...

Becky, you are quick! I love it!

Anonymous said...

It is all about timing. Your posting was hard to resist and I had the time. Becky

Post a Comment