Monday, May 16, 2011

Parmesan Puffs

I made these parmesan puffs for my daughter to put in her tomato soup for dinner (she was very happy). Then I realized they had the potential for making cute hors d'oeuvres. So I sliced them in half and filled some with prosciutto. I guess you could call it a variation on the classic ham biscuit (I think my Southern in-laws are rubbing off on me). That was a nice combination. Then I filled a few with tomato jam (that wasn't as good; the sweetness didn't work as well as the salty prosciutto). They can't all be winners.

I think these might also be nice with herbs and spices (baked right in). You could even throw them into stews (chili perhaps). Maybe next time I'll put the dough into a bag and pipe it into really teeny tiny puffs and toss those into a salad. I'm getting dizzy just thinking about the endless possibilities.

 

PARMESAN PUFFS
Makes 36 small puffs

1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup water
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs 
1 cup freshly grated parmesan
black pepper to taste 
__________________________________________________________________________

1.        Preheat oven to 400° F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2.        In a small heavy saucepan combine the milk, water, butter, and salt and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate, add the flour all at once, and beat the mixture with a wooden spoon until it leaves the side of the pan and forms a ball. 

3.        Transfer the mixture to a bowl, whisk in the eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each addition, and stir in the parmesan and pepper to taste.

4.        Drop batter in small mounds (about 1 1/4 inches) on prepared baking sheet and bake in the upper third of the oven for about 13-15 minutes, or until they are crisp and golden.

5.        The puffs may be served as an hors d'oeuvre or as an accompaniment to soups, meats, and poultry and can be stored overnight in an airtight container.

slightly adapted from Gourmet Magazine, January 1990

milk, water, butter and salt
flour mixed in
eggs whisked into flour mixture
adding parmesan

Since this is all about the parmesan flavor, get
the good stuff (if you want them to taste good).
parmesan mixed in
dough ready to bake
baked
parmesan puffs with prosciutto (ham biscuit style)
spreading with tomato jam (don't do this at home)
It does look pretty though. 
Ooh! These would taste great with hot pepper jelly!!!  Another trick
I picked up from my southern mother-in-law...thanks Judie! 
:)
.

No comments:

Post a Comment