Friday, June 24, 2011

Brown Butter Balsamic Vinaigrette

I was watching Top Chef Masters one day and Chef Traci Des Jardins made this sauce. She called it one of those easy "magic trick sauces" that she teaches people from time to time. I couldn't help but think "I like easy." "I like sauces." "I like magic tricks." Then her dish won the quickfire challenge and that sealed the deal. So I tried it. It's not the most handsome sauce you'll ever make (the shallots end up as little brown blobs plopped on top of your dish), but it really is easy and extremely flavorful. A winner.
I served my sauce over grilled chicken
(Chef Traci served hers with halibut)
 
BROWN BUTTER BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE

2 tablespoons butter
2 shallots, minced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
about 1 tablespoon water
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped


1.      Add butter to a sauté pan. Brown slightly, add the shallots and soften.
2.      Add balsamic and bring to a boil. Add a little water to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper.
3.      Add parsley.

from Chef Traci Des Jardins, Top Chef Masters

shallots
melting the butter
I doubled the recipe and that made enough for 6 to 8 chicken thighs.
butter browning
shallots softening
adding the balsamic vinegar
balsamic and water added
parsley added
I marinated the chicken overnight in olive oil with crushed garlic
and rosemary. Then I grilled it the same way as the grilled
chicken with creamy grits and shiitake sauce
, except I didn't chop
the rosemary first (I didn't have time and I just wanted a hint
of rosemary flavor to come through from the marinade).
.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Not just lately ;)

Post a Comment