Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bucheron


Maybe I'm preaching to the choir with this post, but if I reach even one cheese lover who hasn't tried bucheron yet, it's worth boring the rest of you. Bucheron (pronounced boo-shron) is my absolute favorite cheese. Maybe that doesn't mean much coming from someone who rarely meets a cheese she doesn't like. But I think I'm right about this one.


Bucheron is a semi-aged cheese, originally from the Loire Valley in France. It's made from goat's milk, but is not your typical goat cheese. It's unique because it's like two cheeses in one. It has a fresh, creamy center that is like the usual chevre we all know and love. Then there's a ring on the outside of smooth, gooey cheese with the texture of brie, but tangier. The white rind is edible (also similar to brie).


Bucheron is definitely best served at room temperature (otherwise you won't really experience that great contrast of textures and flavors). Store it in the fridge and take out about an hour before serving. Actually, now that we're on the subject, it's best to eat all cheeses at room temperature to experience their full natural flavor.

Next time you're shelling out for costly mold removal in your basement or cursing your mold spore allergy, remember, not all mold is bad. Long live cheese! (It is alive you know.) Alive, but not conscious (if you can prove otherwise, please contact me immediately).
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being real cheese lovers I will look for this. I did not see it at Kroger yesterday.
I have a growing list of your recipes to try but have been a bit slack of late.
Becky
PS - loved the bear pictures.

Post a Comment