Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sangria

If you want to see your guests' eyes light up at your next party, break out the sangria. Everybody loves it! It's something most people only drink in a restaurant, often on special occasions. So it's got a kind of built-in celebratory quality that helps kick start the fun. And the buzz from the booze just keeps it going (and going and going).

If you're like me and know less than nothing about wine, do what I did and use the About.com "best wines for sangria guide". I unabashedly brought a printout of this list to the liquor store with me. Did I look stupid? Sure. But my sangria was fantastic!

SANGRIA
Serves 8

1 (750 ml.) bottle dry red wine (3 cups)
1 1/2 cups (12 oz.) lemon-lime soda (such as Sprite or 7UP)
1 1/2 cups (12 oz.) orange juice
1/2 cup brandy
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons orange liqueur (such as Cointreau or Grand Marnier)
2 tablespoons grenadine
6 lime slices
6 lemon slices
6 orange slices
8 apple slices
ice cubes (optional)
_______________________________________________________________________

1.      Stir all ingredients (except ice) in a large pitcher to combine.  Let stand 30 minutes.
2.      Fill 8 wine glasses with ice cubes. Divide sangria among glasses. Garnish each glass with lime and lemon slices (if desired) and serve.

barely adapted from Merrill Frank (Málaga restaurant/bar, Austin, TX)
juicing limes
assembling the ingredients
pouring in the wine

I made a double batch, so I used a
very large container to mix everything.

pouring in the orange juice
fruit added

I made this about 2 hours before my friends
came over, so I didn't add the soda until just
before serving (so it wouldn't lose its fizz).

now it's a party
.

1 comment:

Elizabeth (Foodie, Formerly Fat) said...

I have a friend who makes her sangria in a cooler... she set it all up about a week before serving it, doesn't add any soda, and lets it all mingle for a week. It will make your hair stand on end, but it's delicious.

Post a Comment