Friday, November 11, 2011

Red Onion Marmalade

I'd say on any given day that I have somewhere between zero and one red onion in the house (maybe two, if I'm up to something). But the other day I was walking by the ol' hanging vegetable basket when I noticed there were six red onions in there. Don't ask me how that happened (I'm pretty sure they don't reproduce like tribbles). I didn't spend much time on cracking that mystery (pretty boring as far as mysteries go) and quickly shifted my energy to figuring out what to do with them all.

This marmalade was the perfect solution. It's sweet & savory and tastes amazing with meat, fish, vegetables and cheese. It really livens up sandwiches, hot dogs and hamburgers too. I've even served it on a slice of tomato tart. It could be the new ketchup. Although it will never be the new ketchup fountain this stuff is way too thick to flow (as if that's the reason it wouldn't catch on).

RED ONION MARMALADE
Makes 2 1/2 cups

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 cups thinly sliced red onions (about 3 1/4 pounds)
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup dry sherry
1 1/2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 cup raisins


1.       Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions and dried red pepper. Cover and cook until onions are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
2.       Add brown sugar, vinegar, sherry and ginger. Cook uncovered until onions are very tender and mixture is thick, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.
3.       Add raisins and cook until mixture is very thick and dark, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.
4.       Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool completely. Can be prepared 4 days ahead; cover and refrigerate.

from The Winds Cafe (Yellow Springs, Ohio)—Bon Appétit, February 1997
red onions
adding crushed red pepper
onions tender
grated ginger
adding brown sugar, vinegar, sherry and ginger

I think it would taste great with
balsamic vinegar (either half or all)
adding raisins (I had golden, so that's what I used)
it's marmalade
up close in the jar
.

1 comment:

Andria Crowjoy said...

Ohh that's nice. With my homegrown red onions and a pretty jar, I'm thinking gift giving. Thanks!

Post a Comment