Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cabbage Soup

A couple of weeks ago, I made pork dumplings with cabbage. I bought one of those bags of shredded cabbage with carrots that are great for making cole slaw. But I had cabbage leftover, so I decided to make this soup. Then my husband (who gets itchy if things hang around in the fridge for more than two days), made himself some cole slaw. Or the beginning of cole slaw. Because when I got home, he slid the bowl in my direction and asked me to add stuff to make it taste good. All of which was totally fine. But then I had to buy another bag of cabbage slaw because by then I was really looking forward to trying this soup. So now there's yet another half bag of cabbage staring up at me every time I open the vegetable drawer. We'll see who gets to it first.


CABBAGE SOUP
Yield: 8 servings

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 quarts chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
1/2 head cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped or shredded (4-5 cups)
1 (14.5 oz.) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, drained and diced
________________________________________________________________________

1.      In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic; cook until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes.
2.      Stir in stock, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then stir in cabbage. Simmer until cabbage wilts, about 10 minutes.
3.      Stir in tomatoes. Return to a boil, then simmer 15 to 30 minutes, stirring often and breaking up the tomatoes with your spoon against the side of the pot.

barely adapted from allrecipes.com by JGCASE
onion and garlic
stock added
stewed tomatoes
tomatoes mixed in
shredded cabbage and carrots
(as you know, I used a bag of cabbage slaw)
cabbage mixed in
soup ready and about to be enjoyed

I really like this soup. It's simple, easy to
make, big on flavor and good for you. Nice.
.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I found this while looking for recipes for my new Weight Watchers Points Plus diet.. I omitted the olive oil and instead sweated the onions and garlic in some chicken broth - 0 points. Cabbage - 0 points, and broth - 0 points. :D tasty snack - 0 points! WIN

Post a Comment