Thursday, January 19, 2012

Tomato Chutney

Some of my favorite things to eat at an Indian restaurant are the delicious breads (like naan, puri and paratha), dipped in chutney. There are so many good ones - mango, tamarind, coriander, coconut, mint - I couldn't begin to pick a favorite. So I thought I would make one at home and randomly went with tomato. It came out great. A little sweet, a little spicy - like ketchup's exotic, chunkier, way more interesting cousin who came to town on the last flight from Mumbai. You may be wondering what that yellowish blob is, going in for a dip in the photo. I'd tell you, but you'll have to stay tuned to find out (finally, all those years of tv watching are starting to pay off).


TOMATO CHUTNEY
Makes about 2 1/2 cups

1 (28 to 32 oz.) can whole tomatoes with juice, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup dried currants
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon


1.      Combine all ingredients in a heavy pot. Cook mixture over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
2.      Reduce heat to low and simmer mixture, stirring occasionally, 30-60 minutes more, or until thickened and reduced to about 2 1/2 cups. Chutney keeps chilled, covered, 3 months.

from Gourmet, December 1994
chopped onion
whole tomatoes added

I didn't chop them, I just broke them up with my spatula in the pot
pouring cider vinegar
adding lemon zest
adding currants
adding spices
all mixed
after cooking for 30 minutes
thickened and ready

I think I cooked mine longer than the recipe
says - probably about an hour and a half.
 .

No comments:

Post a Comment