Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fig and Blue Cheese Savouries

I wanted to love these unusual little...crackers, I guess I'll call them (cookies doesn't seem quite right). But I didn't. They just tasted kind of off to me. Like when milk is right on the edge and you can't decide whether it's still good or not (by the way, in that situation I advise erring on the side of caution and going with not). What surprised me about these was that while I expected to like them and didn't, my 7-year-old daughter loved them. She asked me to put them in her lunchbox the next day. The girl doesn't like blue cheese or figs and told me how gross it all looked the whole time I was making them, so I certainly didn't see that coming. I think she just likes to see that look of confusion on my face. Well played Maddie.


FIG AND BLUE CHEESE SAVOURIES
Makes about 3 dozen

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
freshly ground black pepper
approx. 3 tablespoons fig preserves


1.      Heat oven to 350º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2.      Place the flour, butter, blue cheese and a few grinds of black pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the dough just comes together and starts to form a ball.
3.      Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times to pull the dough together. Roll out to 1/8-inch thick with a floured rolling pin. Cut rounds out of the dough with a floured 1-inch cutter and transfer the rounds to the parchment-lined baking sheet.
4.      Using the rounded back of a half-teaspoon measure or your knuckle, make an indention in the top of each dough round. Spoon about ¼ teaspoon of fig preserves into each indention, using your finger to push the preserves as best as possible into the indentions.
5.      Bake the savories for 10 - 14 minutes, until the preserves are bubbling and the pastry is light golden on the bottom.
6.      Let cool on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool. Can be made a day ahead (keep them in two layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container).

from food52.com (submitted by TheRunawaySpoon)
flour, butter, blue cheese & black pepper
blue cheese dough
dough disk
rolled dough
cutting into rounds
dough rounds
topped with fig jam
fig and blue cheese savouries

.

No comments:

Post a Comment